Monday, July 4, 2011

Goats and Katy Perry!


Goats…the only thing I ever really knew about them from my many travels were that they smell pretty bad, they make horrible noises often, and that when cooked decently, they taste pretty good. Never did I think I would be spending my summer hanging out with them in a different land, actually enjoying all I got to learn!

The farm here breeds goats in order to provide for the people close by. The goats are given to different families in order to provide a substanable living. It has been very eye opening to see the need of these families, and also see how our Father has provided such a means for people who have very little.

During the goat clinic a few weeks ago, we were able to check out all the pregnant goats, provide inculations, run some blood work to test for diseases, and even perform a few minor surgeries. I will refrain from the grossness of much of the ordeal, but I think I can safely say that drawing blood from a goat has adequately prepared me for nursing school. I mean, at least humans will not try to bite me as I stick them!

My favorite story from the week is about our new little house addition, Katy Perry. The name has not so good connotations, but a friend always refers to Katie as Katy Perry, and for some reason that name just seemed to stick for this little goat. She was born a few weeks ago, but for some reason will not nurse from her momma. She also has a hurt little foot, so we decided to bring her and her momma home in order to provide some care. She really is quite cute, and lets me hold her like a little baby!

Katie and I did the best we could to nurse little Katy Perry back to life, but for awhile there she was not looking good. She just wouldn’t drink and most days looked like she was ready to just give up. Now, a goat is a goat, but still, we did not want her to die on our doorstep.

Last week, Katy Perry returned back to the farm. After a few days, Katie and I headed back to do some work, and were excited to see that no only was Katy Perry nursing from her momma, but was skipping around like all little goats did. We they got her out of the barn, I called her name and she quickly came running. I guess she won’t forget the effort Katie and I made in order to save her little life!

On a side note, being the smart goat that she is now, she has decided that drinking out of a cup is more her style. I guess she figures she is a human goat, since for the first part of her life she had two human momma’s. Goats…who knew they could be soo entertaining!

No comments: