Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Donkey Carts and Boy's Named "Kaka"

So I woke up this morning, just like every morning, with the thought that an adventure would be had. Never would I have thought it would involve a donkey cart, a town of brown, and a ruckas of school children...one with the name "Kaka"!

Me and Maria set out for our adventure to the brown town with anticipation in our hearts and thoughts of being the only kwiwajas (white people) for miles around. After riding a bus, for the first time, we arrived at the town of brown. Next thing I know, we are walked over to a cart and told to climb up. Upon climbing I notice that the cart is moving...mainly because it is attached to a very feisty looking donkey. I quickly sit and wait for Maria, and then cover my head and hold on to my bag for dear life! We quickly start and I soon discover that there is no need for roller coasters in this country..they have donkey carts.

We arrive at our destination, which seems to look exactly like the point that we started from! We climb off the cart, me accidentally hiking my skirt up about 4 inches, and we procceed to walk thru the sand greeting onlookers as we pass. We arrive at a little hut type thing, and I look at Maria hoping she has some idea why we stopped. We both just stand there waiting to hear the swaya (little) arabic that we know, come to find out that our lovely guides were stopping to get ice...ice..in the middle of the brown...yeah, that's what I said! So me and Maria exchange looks of amazement, quickly "Shukran" (thank you) and "Ma Salama" (goodbye), and run to catch up with our guides. Upon catching up with them we notice that they are entering the one and only blue gate that I have seen in this town of brown. I stand there for a minute, a bit in awe of seeing color, and then am pushed along, by Maria, to follow. We enter, to see an open space that is covered by blue tarp and slotted roofs. Greeted by some nice men who help run the center, we are rushed into a room at the front and told to sit. Our guides gathered their supplies and started assembling their "rooms" (ie dirt floors seperated by straw brick) and we started sharpening pencils.

After eating around a bowl of veggies and a spread of Nutella, me and my sister decided to go check out the door and see if any students had arrived. I open it to see a sea of brown faces, all a little startled at the whiteness before them, but quickly reassured that we were friendly. Due to my lack of language at this point, and feelings of awkwardness, I start spouting off random phrases in Arabic. I told them my name was, "Ana ismi Sarah" and that the day was hot, and that I was beautiful. I acutally meant to say THEY were beautiful, but I guess I fell asleep that day we conjegated Jameela (beautiful)! They all shake our hands, repeat every word I say, and then run off laughing.

Like racers at a starting line, the lovely blue gates are opened wide and the children started pouring in. Maria and I run to our posts as water girls. I look right, to Maria, and then quickly fill the water cup as hands are reaching out. I continue saying random phrases, get many a snicker, and quickly make some friends. Maria and I gather into the first "room" and are told to sing. I sing, loudly, a fun song with hand motions, while Maria and the students look on. Maria helps me with the second verse, and then the children follow. We sing the song, loudly, several more times and then we are bustled to the next "room". We performed the same fun song as we had before, and then step out into the middle, trying to figure out where to go next. We decide splitting up was probably best, so I walk back into the second "room" and find a seat on the bench in back. I try to be conspicuous...or as conspicuous as a white girl can be in a sea of brown...and sit quietly. I look up, to find a boy at the front waving frantically, and smiling. I aknowledge his look, only to find him get up and come back with his friend to sit behind me. He boldly states "My name is Kaka" and just stairs at me. Next thing I know I am surrounded by 20 new friends, asking all kinds of questions and trying to get me to teach them words in English. One girl looks at my very white arm, while rubbing her hand over it saying, "You...African...need color!". Another strokes my hair, as a little boy comes up and pinches me. I sit there, a little in culture shock, and a great deal in excitement for my new little friends. After awhile, I say "halaas" (finished) and get up to move. With little hands attached and bodies following closely beside me, I make my way to the front, only to be bombarded with more questions and comments. It is at that moment I realize, I better plan staying for a bit, because I don't think there is any hope for an escape!

Upon my donkey cart ride home, I reflect on the adventures of the day....the town of brown, the ice hut, the lovely blue doors, and one of my new little friends, Kaka. I am thankful that the Sun continues to shine, that carts pulled by donkeys have become my new favorite form of public transportation, and that little friends can be made despite whiteness and random Arabic phrases.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

i can picture all your little friends right now! and i really wish i could've been there to be an inconspicuous mzungu too. and donkey carts...it sounds like it should be a nintendo game! you should hear katelyn giggle when we go down the really rough roads! she thinks it's hilarious. and she gets super excited at the really big puddles, nearly lakes, that we drive through! she has been inspired to drive like an african!